Dental Check-up and Clean – We Care About Your Smile
At Barkly Street Dental Group, we strongly believe in preventative dentistry. This is why we emphasise the importance of regularly attending our dental practice in Mornington for a check-up and hygiene treatment.
Unfortunately, many people don’t visit the Dentist until they develop a problem. By having a regular dental check-up routine in place, patients have a much better chance of preventing or minimising many potential dental issues. In addition, it is important to note that a lack of pain or discomfort does not always constitute a healthy mouth, so for these reasons, check-ups every 6 months are vital when looking to maintain a healthy smile and comfortable mouth.
Dental Check-Ups – It is All About Preventative Care
During your 6 monthly visits at our dental clinic in Mornington, we will observe the oral cavity to look for any changes in colour, form, or texture of the teeth and gums which may have occurred since the last time you saw us. The sooner any changes are noticed, the earlier any treatment can be initiated.
Ultimately, the success of every dental procedure depends upon the stage at which decay, fractures or infection is diagnosed. For instance, a tiny white spot on your tooth can turn into a large brown patch of decay if left untreated. Similarly, if soft plaque is not removed regularly, it can turn into stone-like calculus which can give rise to a number of gum infections.
What Happens During A Check-up and Hygiene session ?
Firstly we will ensure that patients are completely comfortable and relaxed before we start any treatment. Our routine dental examinations are non-invasive and involve gentle dental techniques. Below are a few things our patients can expect from the appointment:
• A comprehensive medical check – Having a good understanding of your medical history will help us to tailor any specific treatment plans to you.
• A gentle but in-depth tooth by tooth examination.
• This is the best way to identify any cavities, check the condition of any previous restorations and/or highlight any other problems.
• A thorough screening for oral cancer – Checking for signs of precancerous conditions in the mouth.
• X rays using digital equipment – If required, we may use digital x-ray technology to closely view tooth root structures, check underneath existing fillings or crowns and evaluate the quantity, density and health of the supporting bone.
Our Hygiene Department
At Barkly Street Dental Group, we are proud to have a fully equipped hygiene department complete with two highly skilled Hygienists. They work closely with our dentists to ensure that your dental check-up and hygiene delivers the best results. Treatments and services may include:
• A thorough periodontal examination to check the health and depth of your gum pockets
• A meticulous dental hygiene session to eradicate any plaque or tartar build up which normal brushing cannot remove.
• A final polish and clean to remove any intrinsic staining while increasing the aesthetics of your smile.
• Our team will also educate you when necessary on how to maintain optimal oral health.
If you would like to know more about a dental check-up and hygiene session and what it entails, or if you are overdue for a check-up, simply contact us on (03) 5975 5355 and book your appointment. As a compassionate, caring, and non-judgemental dental team on the Mornington Peninsula, we warmly welcome you to Barkly Street Dental Group.